7 easy ways to healthy weight loss without losing mind
Try GM diet and you’ll lose weight! Oh no the Paleo diet is the best. Cut your fats and see how easily you lose weight… NO way try ketogenic diet … high fat and zero carbs!!! Are you also bombarded with these information and getting confused because it is so difficult to follow any particular diet? Well, there is no such things as “best” weight loss diet in my opinion. Every individual is different and different diets work for different people. One should pick up a way of eating that is sustainable and long term.
Here are my 7 tips that can be easily followed for a long term and would hopefully help in reaching the goal of attaining healthy weight:-
1. Be in the right frame of mind - this happened with me when I had gained weight during pregnancy and post-delivery. I was just not feeling good about myself and ended up making unhealthy choices. I had developed an attitude like '‘I don’t care now and how much more can I gain. I am already so fat what difference will this make now”. It does happen right? Yes. So before starting a diet be in the right frame of mind. Speak aloud that you are going to choose healthier options over unhealthy from now on because you want to feel much better about yourself.
How can you do that then?
2. Eat whole foods: When you eat whole foods that are full of nutrients your body will know how much to eat and what to discard. Our body is a wonderful machine and not always we need to count calories. If given the right nutrients you will be at the best weight and you'll have plenty of energy and feel great too. Adopt by making simple switches like opting for a whole fruit over fruit juice. Say no to processed food like breakfast cereals, tinned veggies, savoury snacks like sausage rolls, pies, pastries and convenience food like ready to eat meals or microwave meals. High processed food is just empty calories and eating them would cause the body to crave for more as it is trying to get the nutrients from whatever we feed.
3. Water is the best weight loss supplement - Most people do not know the difference from being hungry for food or thirsty for water. A lot of time people eat when they are thirsty. Most likely you will not feel as hungry if you are getting enough water. You will satisfy the thirst, which is confused for hunger most of the time. Drink at least 3 litres of water. It helps in boosting metabolism, cleanses the body besides being an appetite suppressant. Those suffering from bloating or water retention, please drink more water on the contrary to flush the toxins and to reduce bloating. Water also helps to digest food better.
4. Chewing well aids in better digestion. Yes a simple technique of chewing your food well means you will consume fewer calories. Chewing food well will ensure that you get the most nutrient out of your food and the body will produce less of the hunger stimulating harmone ghrelin . Getting the most nutrient will satisfy your body therefore you will eat less. Another benefit of chewing well is that it also helps aid in digestion.
5. Eat small, frequent meals in a day. Large, heavy meals puts up a lot of pressure on the digestive system making the body work harder. Taking too much time in between meals makes you hungrier for the next meal. Frequent snacking keeps your metabolism going, curbs your hunger and controls blood sugar. Also try to eat more veggies with your main course. If you are out and have ordered pasta go ahead and eat it but ensure that you bulk your pasta with veggies like broccoli, carrot, tomatoes as these are not only high fibre veggies but will keep you full and aid in preventing constipation which can otherwise make you look bloated and fat. Also keep some nuts handy and snack on it if you are traveling and feeling hungry .
6. Be mindful of what you eat and control portions: You cannot be camping at home always to manage your diet. We need to go out too sometimes for a dinner, date, or kids birthday parties. The trick here is to order the smallest portion. Its human to eat what’s in front of us even though we will be full on less. In this way you can eat everything but still manage to keep a watch on your weight. A classic case in my personal experience was when my husband was advised to snack on almonds when hungry. Now the dietician meant only 5-6 almonds but he ended up eating the entire box of it! Just because it is healthy we should not give ourselves the permission to eat more than required. When we eat mindlessly, we end up piling more calories and weight. Also by cutting back on food you don’t have to be forever hungry, make smart choices – add more colourful veggies that is a good source of fibre and will also fill you up. Try these tricks at home and outside to cut your weight.
7. Get going and increase your physical activity. Last but not the least, physical activity is utmost. Most people are overweight because of a lack of physical activity. Go for walks, run, jog, walk the dog, bicycle, swim, dance whatever catches your fancy. It’s important that you choose a physical activity that you enjoy because you’ll stick with it for longer period of time. Choosing a physical activity purely based on the fact that it burns a lot of calories because someone else is doing may be a mistake. I go to gym because I like going to gym but there is no hard and fast rule that one should go to gym. In fact many of my friends hate going to gym as it becomes monotonous to them. They would rather take a sport or a dance that involves fulfilling their passion while losing weight.
So what are you waiting for? Follow these tips and let me know if these are useful in attaining your goal!